Cases that Necessitate a Car Accident Lawyer
There are numerous types of situations that might require the counsel of an auto accident attorney. As mentioned above, the amount of damages you have is a big factor. If your medical bills reach more than a few thousand dollars, or if your treatments are complex and ongoing, you may need an attorney to handle your case.
Other situations in which a car accident attorney might be necessary include:
- the injuries were exceptionally traumatic or catastrophic;
- you have to miss a substantial amount of work because of the injury;
- punitive damages (punishment for gross negligence) might be called for, e.g., a drunk driving accident;
- commercial truck accidents;
- when fault and negligence are arguable;
- more than two parties are involved;
- dealing with uninsured or underinsured motorists; and
- hit and run accidents.
Ways a Lawyer Can Benefit a Car Accident Case
If you’re dealing with serious injuries after a car accident, your energies should primarily be focused on healing and recuperating. Trying to navigate through the legal system, negotiate with insurance companies, find a way to make ends meet while you’re incapacitated, and making sure you don’t do something that could inadvertently wreck your claim just compounds stress.
An attorney will be able to:
- speak with witnesses;
- help investigate the accident and collect pertinent evidence;
- make sure you abide by all your legal responsibilities;
- consult experts such as economists and accident reconstructionists;
- calculate a fair settlement amount;
- prevent you from being misled by insurance adjusters;
- advise you on how to handle matters if the insurance company acts unscrupulously;
- explain what not to do so you don’t hurt your claim;
- negotiate with insurance companies; and
- work hard to build a strong, sufficient case should it need to go to trial.
How to Choose a Car Accident Lawyer
If your claim requires an attorney, do your research and select one that best meets your needs. The client-attorney relationship will last for some time, so you’ll want to find a lawyer you feel confident will give your claim the time and effort it deserves.
There are several things to look for in a good attorney so you’ll want one who:
- is attentive and listens to your needs;
- has experience with car accident cases;
- has a good educational background and is a member of the Bar;
- is not overburdened with a heavy caseload;
- is upfront with his or her track record (and it’s a good one);
- patiently explains difficult-to-understand legal concepts;
- has experience settling cases both in and out of court;
- explains your options in a clear manner, without sugar-coating or overpromising anything;
- has client testimonies you can peruse; and
- with whom you have good rapport.
If you are looking for a car accident attorney in the Cleveland area, call Ryan, LLP. Contact our office today at 877-864-9495 to schedule a free claim evaluation.
About the author of this article: Thomas Ryan