Common Occupations in Ohio and Its Risks
Everything can be compared as a coin, it has to sides. Even in work, there are various risks to take just to earn a living as some jobs are rigorously hard and possess lots of danger such as laboring jobs. The health of Ohio's workers is threatened, as they are set up for injury by their jobs. Every year more than 1 million people in the U.S., many of them residing in this state, miss work due to a work-related accident or illness and it isn't just costly; injuries mean pain too and that hurts regardless if you're an office worker with your desk job or someone who can really attest to hard labor on a regular basis, kudos to them.
Common Labor Jobs in Ohio
In a recent survey done by Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), where they observed the numbers of people employed in a specific job and ranked it accordingly, here are the labor works which is included in the top 200 most employed jobs in Ohio:
- Fast Food Workers - Fast food workers is ranked second as over 151,000 are employed with such with an employee rate of 2.95%, deemed as the highest and most popular among other professions having a salary of $20,000 which is relatively lower than other jobs. The job is said to be popular among ages 18-26 years old as a sideline since age population is undoubtly college students. It is an engaging job but it suits them as it is fast-paced and social communication within the crew and customers is needed.
- Laborers for Logistics and Material Movers - Laboeres for logistics and material mover is ranked 6th where the number of people having this occupation is over 115,000 with an employee rate of 2.25%, having a salary of over $31,000 which is considered average salary for blue-collar jobs. The gist of the job is to transport and carry customer's objects using a car from point to point and carry it for them, making it as one of the hardest jobs that deserves more, it is even harder given hot weather.
- Janitors and Cleaners - Janitor and cleaning related job is ranked 12th as almost 75,000 are employed with the job, with share of employee rate of 1.46% out of a total of 100%, salary is lying around $27,000 which is relatively higher than the first one being mention probable factor is the difficulty and hour spent by the employee. The age range of its employee population is around 40 years old and above, it is said that it is rare for young ages to work in the occupation for some reasons. Jobs of such are popular in corporate buildings, businesses, schools and hospitals.
- Landscaping and Groundskeeping Laborers - Landscaping and groundskeeping job is ranked 32nd for having almost 35,000 employees with the job according to BLS, with share of employee rate of 0.68% out of a total of 100% which is relatively rare unlike the other three previously mentioned, salary is lying around $30,000 which is relatively higher than the first one being mention probable factor is the difficulty and hour spent by the employee same underlying reason for the janitor and cleaner jobs. The age range of its employee population is around 40 years old and above and majority of employee population's gender are male for some unknown reasons. It is a job where one is hired to arrange plants, design ornamental plants according to client's desire, nature of work is obviously working outside, either with or without shade making it draining and tiring job along with construction laborers.
- Construction Laborers - Construction Laborer is ranked 33rd for having almost 35,000 employees with the job relatively close to Landscaping and grounskeeping job, with share of employee rate of 0.67% out of a total of 100% which is low for a rapidly growing state unlike other state where numbers of construction workers are up high, salary is lying around $43,000, which is relatively higher than most of the jobs in the list, probably because of the projects are long term and has indefinite budget and lastly, it is plain hard and requires skills. The age range of its employee population is around 40 years old and above and majority of employee population's gender are male for some unknown reasons similar to the previously mentioned job above. It is a job where one is hired to to a specific part in building a building or establishment such as mason, concrete building, roofing, flooring etc.
Risks of These Jobs Present
Injuries are a common occurrence in the manufacturing industry. These injuries could be as simple and straightforward, such as:
- Slips, Trips and Falls, workers and crews at construction sites, high rise buildings, businesses are all potential victims for falls from scaffolding, stairs, and other footing due to wet surfaces, objects lying around, and other common causes. This is why it's important to have safety precautions in place before starting any work project or even hiring.
- Construction workers and laborers are at risk of being struck by objects from above, such as tools used by other workers, heavy objects situated on height that has been struck by other crew, or materials/equipments that slip out due to improper safety measures. This can lead to serious brain or spinal injuries.
- Cuts - The landscaping and groundskeeping, fast food workers, and logistics are all at risk for injury. Workers in these fields often rely on knives, cutters and other sharp objects to do their jobs which can result in wounds from cut or sharp objects if they're not careful with them.
If you ever feel that your employer is negligent and believed that they caused you to sustain injury, you can always file a claim for workers' compensation. You can call our offices in this matter as our lawfirm, Ryan LLP, offers legal representation for your case of personal injury claim, medical malpractice, wrongful death and such for you to alleviate financial damage that the negligent defendant has caused you. Call us for free legal consultation.